If you’ve been following education and corporate wellness trends over the past several years, you’ve probably heard of Mindfulness. But how well do you understand it and the benefits it can offer your business? This philosophy has only recently landed in mainstream Western consciousness. More and more businesses and organizations are recognizing the positive impacts mindfulness can have in all areas of life, including job performance.
The definition of mindfulness is a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.
At Peoria Magazines’ Women of Influence event held on December 4, 2018, presenter Chuck Rice talked about the importance of being mindful at work and at home, and meditation is a big factor. He believes that every organization, large or modest, can increase success by developing their people. He is passionate about reframing the employee experience through “noticing the otherness in others.” Below, Chuck offers some helpful resources to help you become more mindful.
- The Headspace Guide to Mindfulness by Andy Puddicombe (New York: St Martin’s Press. 2016)
- Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn (Boulder: Sounds True Inc 2016)
- The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris (Boston: Trumpeter Books 2008)
- Real Happiness The Power of Meditation by Sharon Salzberg (New York: Workman Publishing Co Inc 2010)
- The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh (London: Rider & Co 2008)
Chuck also suggests attending the Weekly Mindfulness Meditation Group at the Hult Center for Healthy Living, instructed by Heather Delabre.