Brunch for me is something special—enjoyed with friends and family on the weekend, a leisurely event that often involves sharing lively conversation. This holiday season, consider preparing brunch at home for your family and friends instead of heading to a restaurant. Brunch foods such as omelets, egg bakes and pancakes are easy to make with a little planning ahead. Make sure you have plenty of coffee, as well as juice and sparkling wine for a mimosa or two! Here is a delicious recipe, perfect for your next brunch at home—and by using meatless soy breakfast sausage, it even works for your vegetarian guests. Cheers!
Sausage & Black Bean Stack With Eggs and Salsa
5 Tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, julienned
8 oz pork sausage or meatless soy breakfast sausage
1 large jalapeno pepper, skin charred, seeds removed and finely diced
1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in quarters
2 Tablespoons minced red onion
1 Tablespoon red wine or apple cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
¼ teaspoon salt, plus more for eggs
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for eggs
1 Tablespoon chili powder, plus more for garnish
½ teaspoon ground cumin, plus more for garnish
1 15-oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
12 6-inch flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup light sour cream
4 large eggs
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add the julienned onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, brown the pork or veggie sausage and make the salsa. Cook the sausage in a medium-sized skillet, crumble once browned, and set aside. To make the salsa, in a small mixing bowl, combine half of the finely diced charred jalapeno pepper, quartered grape tomatoes, minced red onion, vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Stir well and set aside.
- Once the onion is caramelized, add to the caramelized onions the other half of the charred jalapeno pepper, chili powder, ground cumin and black beans, stir well and set aside.
- To assemble the stacks, place 4 tortillas on a baking sheet. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the onion/black bean mixture evenly over the tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons of crumbled sausage, then 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese and spread 1 tablespoon of sour cream over the cheese. Place a second tortilla on top of the sour cream and repeat the layers. Place a third and final tortilla on top of each stack, drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over each tortilla stack and garnish the tops with a few dashes of chili powder and ground cumin. Place the stacks in the heated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the stacks are baking, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to a large non-stick pan and fry the four eggs according to your liking, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place a sausage and black bean stack on a plate, top each stack with a fried egg, and divide the salsa evenly over each stack. PM