To link people living with and affected by HIV to essential resources to support long-term wellness and to serve as a community resource for sexual health awareness, counseling, testing, vaccinations, and referrals.
To get to zero new HIV diagnosis, lower STI/STD rates, and increase HPV vaccination that will have a direct impact on lowering future cancer rates and infertility rates. By meeting people where they are, earning trust, and creating a people-first approach to healthcare, we can create a stronger and healthier future for all of us.
Central Illinois Friends was founded by a local group of individuals who were concerned about the response to the AIDS epidemic both nationally and locally. Friends provides a community for individuals living with HIV, as well as transportation, rent, utilities, and emergency services. We offer the following services:
- Free full-slate STI/STD testing (HIV, Hepatitis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis, Herpes, and Trichomoniasis)
- Free pregnancy testing
- Free PrEP/PEP – A daily pill that prevents HIV for people who are negative
- Free HPV & Hepatitis A vaccinations
- Free safe sex kits (condoms, dental dams, receptives, etc.)
- Evidence-based comprehensive sexual health education
- Transportation for people living with HIV
- Supportive services (Rent/Utilities/ADAP Enrollment/Adherence Counseling) for people living with HIV
- Emergency services for people living with HIV
- LGBTQ+ health, education and supportive services
- Linkage to care for any needs discovered during our one-on-one sexual health screenings
How to Help
Volunteers in the medical field are needed. We are always accepting hygiene supplies, clothing donations, and monetary donations to support our getting to zero efforts. Education and awareness are key. Everyone who has ever been sexually active is at risk of an STI, and one in seven people living with HIV in the U.S. don’t know they are—so get tested, tell your friends to get tested, and know your status.
Deric Kimler, Executive Director
Phoebe Maholovich, Director of Prevention Services
Andrea Lopez, Office Manager
Alexander Martin, Outreach & PrEP Enrollment
Morgan Mullen, Community Health Worker & Driver
Jimena Lopez, Community Health Worker & Test/HIV Counselor
Darryl Pegues, Outreach & Driver