The Peoria Humane Society is dedicated to creating a humane environment for animals and humans. We are focused on ending pet overpopulation, cruelty and neglect to animals in addition to promoting respect and kindness to all through education and public awareness.
Helping People, Help Animals
The Peoria Humane Society provides an array of services to connect people with animals in need. We also get out in the community to educate the public on responsible treatment and respect for animals, thus breaking the cycle of animal abuse and neglect. PHS currently funds the following programs:
PHS manages a volunteer program to enhance the lives of animals at Peoria County Animal Protection Services; funds the rehabilitation of sick and injured shelter animals; helps transfer dogs, cats, rabbits, farm animals and wildlife to other welfare groups; and donates equipment and supplies when PCAPS has a need.
PHS helps to fund a low-cost spay and neuter program for residents of Peoria County to reduce the number of unwanted cats and dogs.
PHS nurtures a love for animals through the following programs:
- Paws to Read—a reading-to-dogs program that visits local schools and libraries promoting the benefits of reading for all ages.
- Summer Story Time—an interactive time of stories, crafts, snacks and fun with animal friends.
- Be Kind to Animals Poster Contest—PHS hosts a poster contest for students in our partner schools.
- Kids & Critters Camp—PHS hosts summer camps for 5th grade through high school age youth. Animal-loving kids spend time with shelter animals and have fun with animal-related projects and field trips.
- Kindhearted Kids—a program that focuses on character development through lessons on pet care, respect and appreciation for people, animals and the environment.
Our Paws 4 Therapy program provides support for the elderly, disabled and young through visits to area hospitals, long-term healthcare facilities, schools and residential locations.
Animal Resource Library
Our Education Center is home to a unique and comprehensive animal resource library aimed at upholding our core values of respect, responsibility, peace and kindness. Visitors are encouraged to engage in animal welfare through meetings, lunch & learns, community service and educational programs in our spacious conference room.
PHS is committed to bringing awareness to issues of animal cruelty and neglect, proper pet care, and the problems surrounding pet overpopulation through billboards, social media and community outreach events.
PHS provides support to people and pets in need of medical care, medication or pet food/supplies. When pet owners fall on hard times, they may need additional support to give their pets the care they need. We focus on keeping pets in their homes and with their owners whenever possible. We stand ready to help in times of need.
How to Help
Make a donation. Become a PHS member. Attend our fundraising events. Volunteer your time. Help us spread our message throughout the community by following us on social media and sharing our posts with your friends.
Peoria Humane Society
2600 NE Perry Ave.
Peoria, IL 61603
Fax: (309) 686-3705