To ensure equal access to justice and fair treatment under the law by providing legal advice and representation, advocacy,
education, and outreach that serve to protect basic human needs and enforce or uphold rights.
Prairie State Legal Services (PSLS) is a not-for-profit law firm that provides free legal services to low-income people, people age 60 or over, victims of domestic violence, and veterans who have serious civil legal problems that threaten their basic human needs and require legal assistance to resolve them.
PSLS has 12 office locations serving 36 counties in central and northern Illinois. PSLS helps clients:
- Obtain orders of protection for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, elder abuse and financial exploitation
- In housing cases where landlords wrongfully deny housing to tenants, including rent-to-own scams and severe habitability cases
- In public benefits cases where adults with disabilities are denied government benefits or children with disabilities are denied an education in local schools
- By providing civil legal assistance to veterans as a member of the Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid Network (IL-AFLAN)
- By providing legal counsel to individuals who have legal barriers to employment preventing them from getting a job and contributing to their community
Lawyers for Justice Campaign
You can participate in the Lawyers for Justice Campaign by making a 2019 gift or pledge at one of the following levels:
- Individuals: Friend ($100); Advocate ($250); Leader ($500); Hero ($1,000); Champion ($2,500); Superhero ($10,000)
- Corporate/Law Firms: Friend ($500); Advocate ($750); Leader ($1,000); Hero ($2,500); Champion ($5,000);
- Superhero ($10,000)
If you have questions about the Lawyers for Justice Campaign, please contact Jennifer Luczkowiak, attorney and Director of Development, at (224) 321-5643 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Help
PSLS welcomes volunteers throughout our 36-county service area. We have opportunities for attorneys and non-attorneys. If you are interested in volunteering, contact the Director of Volunteer Services at (815) 900-3286 or email@example.com.
PSLS is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization. Donate online at pslegal.org or mail donations to: Prairie State Legal Services, 411 Hamilton Street, Suite 1812, Peoria, IL 61602.
Prairie State Legal Services
411 Hamilton Street, Suite 1812
Peoria, IL 61602
Michael T. O’Connor, Executive Director