Peoria Humane Society is dedicated to creating a humane environment for animals and humans. We are focused on ending pet overpopulation, cruelty and neglect to animals, and promoting respect and kindness to all through education and public awareness.
The Peoria Humane Society provides a full array of services to connect the people who want to help our cause with animals in need. We also get out in the community to educate the public on responsible treatment and respect for animals, thus breaking the cycle of animal abuse and neglect. PHS currently funds the following programs:
PHS manages a volunteer program to enhance the lives of shelter animals, funds the rehabilitation of sick and injured animals, helps transfer cats, dogs, and small animals to welfare groups, and donates equipment and supplies when there is a need.
PHS helps to fund a low-cost spay and neuter program for residents of Peoria County.
A love for animals should be nurtured and celebrated. PHS does just that with the following programs:
- Paws to Read—a reading-to-dogs program that visits local schools and libraries promoting the benefits of reading for all ages.
- Summer Story Time—an interactive time of stories, crafts, snacks and fun with animal friends.
- Be Kind to Animals Poster Contest—PHS hosts a “Kindness Counts” poster contest for students in our partner schools.
- Kids & Critters Camp—PHS hosts summer camps for 5th grade to high-school age youth. Animal-loving kids spend time with shelter animals and have fun with animal-related projects and field trips.
- Kindhearted Kids—a program that focuses on character development through lessons on pet care, respect and appreciation for people, animals and the environment.
Our Paws 4 Therapy program provides support for the elderly, disabled, and youth through visits to area hospitals, long-term healthcare facilities, schools and residential locations.
Animal Resource Library
Our Education Center is home to a unique and comprehensive animal resource library. Visitors are encouraged to engage in animal welfare through books, brochures, DVDs, lunch and learns, and tours of the animal shelter aimed at upholding our core values of respect, responsibility, peace and kindness.
PHS is committed to bringing awareness to issues of animal cruelty and neglect, proper pet care, and the problems surrounding pet overpopulation through billboards, social media and community outreach events.
How to Help
Donate: Give online, sponsor an event, become a PHS member, sponsor a shelter animal or use an online partner giving website. More information on all of these options can be found at peoriahs.org/you-can-help.
Volunteer: If you’d like to volunteer your time or learn more about our volunteer program, contact Patti Schaffner at email@example.com.
Peoria Humane Society
2600 NE Perry Ave.
Peoria, IL 61603
Patti Schaffner, Community Resource Coordinator
Kitty Yanko, Education Coordinator
Brittany Barnes, Marketing & Development Coordinator