To increase the organized capacity of people in central Illinois to care for one another.
To create a strong, safe and healthy community while providing the best return for the community’s charitable investment.
The Heart of Illinois United Way is focused on supporting the education, financial stability and health needs of our community members in Peoria, Tazewell, Woodford, Marshall, Stark and Putnam counties. Campaign investments made to our organization fund more than 80 grants that support critical programs. In addition, contributions to the Heart of Illinois United Way support ongoing initiatives and collaborations, including:
- Success By 6, our early childhood education initiative, provides knowledge about opportunities for early learning and pre-literacy skill development. Last year, Success By 6® celebrated 10 years of providing more than 300,000 books to local preschool children.
- The Supporting Student Success (S3) initiative offers local students and their families in-school social services focused on prevention, intervention and case management. In the 2018 school year, participating schools experienced a 57-percent or higher decrease in number of discipline referrals.
- The Heart of Illinois 2-1-1 information and referral service, a partnership with Advanced Medical Transport, provides critical access to health and human care programs throughout our six-county region. Free, confidential and available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, HOI 2-1-1 receives approximately 10,000 calls annually, primarily related to housing and utility assistance.
- The Heart of Illinois Homeless Continuum of Care focuses on ending homelessness by ensuring access to permanent, safe and affordable housing. Last year, 59 percent of the individuals served by the Continuum of Care moved to permanent housing, and there was a 29-percent decrease of homeless families and individuals living in unsheltered locations, emergency shelters, transitional housing and safe haven programs.
- Heart of Illinois Volunteers is an online volunteer community (volunteer.hoiunitedway.org) dedicated to connecting volunteers with needs at local nonprofit organizations. In 2018, site users provided more than 10,000 volunteer hours in central Illinois.
How to Help
Each year, more than 300 local companies and organizations participate in the Heart of Illinois United Way’s annual campaign. With more than 25,000 volunteer hours completed in central Illinois each year, United Way volunteers are not only vital to our campaign, but they also participate in fundraising events. For more information, visit hoiunitedway.org.
Heart of Illinois United Way
509 W. High Street
Peoria, IL 61606
LinkedIn: Heart of Illinois United Way
Jennifer L. Zammuto, President