To engage in such recreational, educational, health, social and civic activities which help foster and improve the character, desires and ambitions of persons of all ages.
To be one of the country’s most dynamic and engaged community centers, creating opportunities and experiences that are essential for individuals and communities to grow and thrive in every aspect of their existence.
For almost 100 years, the George Washington Carver Community Center has been a place for all people to come together to help each other, with the goal of attaining a better quality of life. The Heart of Illinois United Way (HOIUW) helps to fund the following programs:
- Strengthening and Supporting Families engages parents in conversational workshops.
- Skills USA partners with Peoria Public Schools to provide workforce skills to students in grades seven and eight.
- The Family, Friends and Neighbors program addresses the needs of home childcare providers.
- Go-Fit for Life provides programs related to health and wellness for all ages.
We also offer the following programs:
- Weekly mentoring sessions each Wednesday by the national organization 100 Black Men.
- Line Dance Mondays from 6 to 8pm, funded by HOIUW Go-Fit.
- ACT/SAT tutoring supported by Illinois Math Institute.
- Richwoods Christian Church provides resources for individuals based on need, a community vacation Bible school, and an annual community Christmas celebration.
- The Blanket Ministry is a collaboration with the Women’s Ministry at Northwoods Community Church, providing socialization for seniors making blankets for other organizations.
- A year-long celebration of the arts brings quality entertainment and concerts right to our neighborhood.
- Our Summer Lunch program serves lunch to children in the community.
- Summer Day Camp is an eight-week program for children ages four to 11.
- Carver Center Little League is supported by the Peoria Park District.
- We provide space for the Healthy Heroes program in partnership with Hult Center for Healthy Living.
- Partnerships with other agencies like Alzheimer’s Association, Central Illinois Agency on Aging, Community Action Agency, Center for Prevention of Abuse, Rogy’s Southside Learning Center Center and Southside Mission enable us to provide programs to our community.
As a community center that serves Peoria, we continue to be a host site for individuals and organizations, providing a safe, accessible place for programs and activities.
How to Help
Donations from individuals and corporations enable us to continue to provide quality services to children, adults and senior citizens. Donations can be made directly to Carver Center or through our website.
During the summer lunch program, we will need assistance from volunteers. This could be one day or several days. Call (309) 839-0722 or email email@example.com.
George Washington Carver Center
710 W. Percy Baker Jr. Ave.
Peoria, IL 61605
Valda Shipp, Executive Director