To link people living with and affected by HIV to essential resources to support long-term wellness and to serve as a community resource for sexual health awareness, counseling, testing and referral.
To serve as the friends of people living with and affected by HIV, to meet people where they are, and to help central Illinois reach the goal of no new HIV diagnosis, considerably lower sexually transmitted infection and teen pregnancy rates, and to break down the barriers to healthcare through a holistic and people-first approach.
Central Illinois Friends was founded by a local group of individuals who were concerned about the response to the AIDS epidemic both nationally and locally. Friends provides a community for individuals living with HIV, as well as transportation, rent, utilities, and emergency services. We offer the following services:
- Free sexual health screenings (Testing for HIV, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis, Trichomoniasis, Herpes and Pregnancy)
- Emergency services for people living with HIV
- Support groups for people living with HIV
- Transportation for people living with HIV – helping people get to and from their appointments
- Adherence counseling – helping people stay in care and achieve an undetectable viral load
- Rent/utilities support for people living with HIV and case managed at Positive Health Solutions
- Sexual health, orientation and gender identification education
- Linkage to care for any need discovered during our free, one-on-one sexual health screening.
How to Help
Volunteers in the medical field are needed. We are always accepting hygiene supplies and clothing donations, as well as monetary donations. Education is key—help us de-stigmatize the false narratives about HIV that plague our public health.
Central Illinois Friends
120 NE Glen Oak Ave., Suite 201
Peoria, IL 61603
Deric Kimler, Executive Director
Chris Wade, Director of Prevention Services
Kacinda Helfers, Office Manager